Boy dies and dad fighting for life after food poisoning at Brit holiday hotspot
A six-year-old boy has died after catching a stomach bug that made him constantly vomit in a Brit holiday hotspot.
The boy’s father is currently in hospital fighting for his life, according to reports.
Antonio Mirabile, 46, and his pregnant wife Rosalia Manosperti were holidaying with their six-year-old son at the Red Sea beach resort of Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt when the lad fell ill.
Rosalia’s brother Roberto Manosperti told La Stampa the boy and his dad were hit worst, while the mum suffered milder symptoms.
He said: “They were constantly throwing up. They left on June 26 and had to stay in Egypt for two weeks. They had been planning that vacation for months. “
Roberto added that his brother-in-law initially suspected he’d ingested pool water.
They were given tablets to treat the food poisoning – but the family “went back to the [hotel] room continuing to vomit”, he adds.
By Saturday morning the symptoms hadn’t cleared up so they called an ambulance to rush them to the hospital.
Medics tried CPR for an hour but were unable to resuscitate the young boy.
His father was admitted to hospital with “symptoms of the onset of kidney failure” and is now in intensive care, he said.
Roberto added: “We have no definite information on the conditions of my brother-in-law.
“They had taken out insurance and asked to be able to charter a private flight, but they need medical reports from the hospital which are not delivered to them. “
Officials have already carried out a post-mortem on the youngster, but it will take months to understand his cause of death, La Stampa says.
Roberto said: “We don’t see any escape routes from this nightmare, we want to experience our pain together at home in Italy, but we don’t know how to do it.
“My brother-in-law has kidney and heart problems, he can’t stand up […]. We want to bring everyone home, someone help us.”
The beach resort has become the scene of multiple tragedies in recent weeks.
Last week a tourist died after ‘losing arm and leg in horrific shark attack at the popular Egyptian resort.
The Austrian woman, 68, later died in an ambulance from “shock” after the Red Sea horror.
Chilling video footage shows her desperately swimming back to shore after “losing an arm and leg” in the attack at the resort popular with British tourists.
Videos were filmed by watching Russian tourists who bemoaned the lack of lifeguards or rescuers.
The woman’s blood was seen in the water as she struggled – wearing a flipper – to make her way back to a pier.
A large crowd watched the drama but no-one was seen entering the water to help the woman.